04 Jun GroceryAid Bike to the Bard – 9th to 12th September 2021
September 9, 2021 - September 12, 2021
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
A one-off ride for supporters of GroceryAid from Weybridge to Stratford-Upon-Avon, the birthplace of one of the World’s greatest writers – William Shakespeare. The Bike to The Bard replaces the traditional GroceryAid London to Paris ride, which will return in 2022.
Date of the ride
Thursday 9th to Sunday 12th September 2021
- Completely new and bespoke route
- Overnight in Oxford and Bristol
- Cycling through the Chilterns & Cotswolds
- Two route options per day
Once you have confirmed your booking and provided payment to GroceryAid please may we ask for you to complete your details here to register your medical information, cycling abilities and event requirements. We are collecting registration information via TicketTailor – the link below will open in a new tab.
Itinerary (subject to change!)
Thurs 9th Sept
Cyclists make their way to Weybridge to register and meet the pie crew. Our guides will be on hand to check your bikes and help with any last minute mechanical issues.
Following a welcome speech and safety briefing, you’ll set off in your guided groups, heading towards Windsor and then on through the Chilterns before arriving in Oxford.
Hotel accommodation and dinner will be provided in the evening.
Friday 10th September
Following a hearty breakfast, we continue our journey across the UK, to the historic city of Bristol.
As usual, our guides will lead the way and our support crew will be on hand to set up regular refreshment stops and transferring luggage from hotel to hotel.
Our hotel is located in central Bristol, with dinner provided in the evening.
Saturday 11th September
Our final day of the ride sees us turning north and cycling through the beautiful Cotswolds. Today is the longest and hilliest day, but still very achievable for less experienced cyclists.
The ride finishes at the historic Stratford-Upon-Avon. Again, hotel accommodation and a celebratory meal will be provided for all.
Sunday 12th September
Breakfast taken at your leisure, before transferring by coach back to Weybridge. Your bikes will be transported in our support vehicles, ready for your arrival.
- Bike guides at a ratio of 1 guide for every 10 cyclists. Our guides will lead the way and provide mechanical support en-route.
- Full support crew and medic(s). Working behind the scenes, setting up regular refreshment stops, transferring luggage, dealing with hotels and of course providing mechanical and medical support along the route.
- Morning and afternoon refreshment stops, lunch and dinner each day
- Hotel accommodation each night (twin share)
- Pre-event cyclist information document
What’s Not Included
- Drinks with evening meals
- Single supplements
- Bike / Travel insurance
GroceryAid is the trading name of the National Grocers’ Benevolent Fund. The charity was founded in 1857 and looks after thousands of people within the grocery industry. For further information about the charity or the ride, please contact Charlotte Norris Charlotte.Norris@groceryaid.org.uk
Fundraising and Sponsorship
All fundraising and sponsorship enquiries should be directed to GroceryAid. There are opportunities to sponsor specific elements of the event, for example the celebration meal, cycle jerseys and refreshment stops.
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
The event is fully supported with guides at a ratio of one guide to 10 cyclists, support vehicles, tour leaders and medics. Each day you will receive breakfast at the hotel before setting off, morning and afternoon refreshment stops while on the ride, a substantial lunch plus dinner and twin room accommodation each night.
The bike to the Bard is a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who help all abilities complete the challenge.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day (Covid regulations permitting)
- Meet the team!
We have set up a Strava “Club” for Bike to the Bard 2021. The link will be sent to you when you sign up. If you have already got a personal Strava account you can just log on using the link we will send, join the “club” and start your training with other GroceryAid cyclists. If you haven’t got a Strava account, simply enter your details in the “Sign Up for Free” section on Strava.
Don’t be daunted by the leader board and other people’s fast times! As the rides are guided, different groups will ride at different speeds, so there is something for everyone.
Please follow us on social media and let others know you are attending this event by tagging us @GroceryAid and using hashtag #GABike2Bard, #bespokeguidedrides or #pieevents