25 Oct GroceryAid Coast to Coast – 10th to 14th July 2019
- July 10, 2019 - July 14, 2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
GroceryAid’s 5th Coast to Coast sees us venturing back to Wales to tackle the very best of what this beautiful country has to offer. Cycling from north to south, we pass through two National Parks and up some of the toughest climbs in the UK.
Date of the ride
Wednesday 10th to Sunday 14th July 2019
- Finish at Cardiff – the capital of Wales
- Ride through two national parks
- Tackle some of the toughest climbs in the UK
Itinerary (subject to change!)
Weds 10th July
Cyclists make their way to the hotel in Caernarfon in time to register with the pie crew. Our guides will be on hand to check your bikes and help with any last minute mechanical issues. Dinner will be provided that night in a local restaurant.
Transfers from Cardiff to Caernarfon will also be available for those wishing to leave their cars in Cardiff.
Thurs 11th July – Caernarfon to Aberystwyth (136km, 1700m elevation)
Day 1! Following a welcome speech and safety briefing, you’ll set off in your guided groups heading into the hills of the magnificent Snowdonia National Park. Today is the toughest day in terms distance… Don’t forget to save your legs for the final sting in the tail just 2km before the end!
Our support crew will have your luggage ready on arrival at the hotel, and you will have time to get changed and have a shower before the evening meal.
Friday 12th July – Aberystwyth to Brecon (107km, 1900m elevation)
The profile flattens today, but don’t let that fool you as with 1900m elevation and gradients approaching 20%, it will be a tough test for even the most experienced cyclists! Most of the morning will be spent climbing up from sea level to 500m and the Tywi Forest.
Thankfully the half way point marks the start of a 20km section that generally heads downhill, before 10km of climbing and a further 15km descent down in to Brecon. A hearty Welsh meal awaits, and you’ll have time in the evening to explore the historic town, with views of the majestic Pen Y Fan.
Saturday 13th July – Brecon to Cardiff (101km, 1300m elevation)
The final day! We start with a gentle ride along the canal, before turning south and climbing up into the Brecon Beacons National Park. From here we descend down and hop across the valleys, before finishing with a ride along the magnificent Cardiff Bay.
We celebrate that night with a wonderful celebration meal overlooking the Bay.
- Bike guides at a ratio of 1 guide for every 10 cyclists. Our guides will lead the way and provide mechanical support en-route.
- Full support crew and medic(s). Working behind the scenes, setting up regular refreshment stops, transferring luggage, dealing with hotels and of course providing mechanical and medical support along the route.
- All food from the evening meal on Wednesday night, through to breakfast on Sunday morning.
- Hotel accommodation each night (twin share)
- Pre-event cyclist information document
What’s Not Included
- Drinks with evening meals
- Single supplements
- Bike / Travel insurance
Testimonial from a previous rider
“The Coast to Coast Cycle Challenge was a fantastically well organised event. Despite the challenging climbs, me and the rest of the team from Sainsbury’s thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.” (Stuart Fraser, Sainsbury’s)
GroceryAid is the trading name of the National Grocers’ Benevolent Fund. The charity was founded in 1857 and looks after thousands of people within the grocery industry. For further information about the charity or the ride, please contact Kim Brimble Kim.Brimble@groceryaid.org.uk
Fundraising and Sponsorship
All fundraising and sponsorship enquiries should be directed to GroceryAid. There are opportunities to sponsor specific elements of the event, for example the celebration meal, cycle jerseys and refreshment stops.
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
The event is fully supported with guides at a ratio of one guide to 10 cyclists, support vehicles, tour leaders and medics. Each day you will receive breakfast at the hotel before setting off, morning and afternoon refreshment stops while on the ride, a substantial lunch plus dinner and twin room accommodation each night.
The Coast to Coast is a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who help all abilities complete the challenge. In an age where independence rather than group cycling is heralded, those not familiar with the pie guiding system may be reluctant to follow rather than lead.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
We have set up a Strava “club” for the GroceryAid Coast to Coast and London to Paris bike rides. The link will be sent to you when you sign up. If you have already got a personal Strava account you can just log on using the link we will send, join the “club” and start your training with other GroceryAid cyclists. If you haven’t got a Strava account, simply enter your details in the “Sign Up for Free” section on Strava.
Don’t be daunted by the leader board and other people’s fast times! As the rides are guided, different groups will ride at different speeds, so there is something for everyone.
Follow us at #bespokeguidedrides, #GAC2C, #pieevents
Register for the ride
Please click on the button below to register!