29 Nov GroceryAid Coast to Coast – 21st – 25th July 2021
- GroceryAid Coast to Coast 2021
July 21, 2021 - July 25, 2021
GroceryAid’s 6th Coast to Coast sees us venturing back to Wales to tackle the very best of what this beautiful country has to offer. With new routes for days 2 and 3, we pass through two National Parks and up some of the toughest climbs in the UK.
Date of the ride
Wednesday 21st to Sunday 25th July 2021
- New routes for days 2 & 3
- Finish at Cardiff – the capital of Wales
- Ride through two national parks
- Tackle some of the toughest climbs in the UK
**New routes for days 2 & 3** – This will be a tough ride & training is essential!
Itinerary (subject to change!)
Weds 21st July
Cyclists make their way to the hotel in Caernarfon in time to register with the pie crew. Our guides will be on hand to check your bikes and help with any last minute mechanical issues. Dinner will be provided that night in a local restaurant.
Transfers from Cardiff to Caernarfon will also be available for those wishing to leave their cars in Cardiff.
Thurs 22nd July – Caernarfon to Aberystwyth
Day 1! Following a welcome speech and safety briefing, you’ll set off in your guided groups heading into the hills of the magnificent Snowdonia National Park. Today is the toughest day in terms distance… Don’t forget to save your legs for the final sting in the tail just 2km before the end!
Our support crew will have your luggage ready on arrival at the hotel, and you will have time to get changed and have a shower before the evening meal.
Friday 23rd July – Aberystwyth to Brecon
A new route for 2021, we first head east out of Aberystwyth to cross the Cambrian Mountains. Lunch signifies a change of direction as we turn south and begin our approach to Brecon. A hearty Welsh meal awaits, and you’ll have time in the evening to explore the historic town, with views of the majestic Pen Y Fan.
Saturday 24th July – Brecon to Cardiff
The final day! Again, it’s a new route for 2021, this time heading west out of Brecon and then up into the Brecon Beacons National Park. This day promises to be challenging with total elevation knocking on the door of 2,000m (subject to a recce), and three big main climbs (2 in the UK top 100).
Following a 14km descent, whilst the final third of the day is still lumpy, it’s more manageable as we make our way into Cardiff, passing by the National Sports Centre & Principality Stadium, riding alongside the River Taff into Cardiff Bay.
We celebrate that night with a wonderful celebration meal overlooking the Bay.
- Bike guides at a ratio of 1 guide for every 10 cyclists. Our guides will lead the way and provide mechanical support en-route.
- Full support crew and medic(s). Working behind the scenes, setting up regular refreshment stops, transferring luggage, dealing with hotels and of course providing mechanical and medical support along the route.
- All food from the evening meal on Wednesday night, through to breakfast on Sunday morning.
- Hotel accommodation each night (twin share)
- Pre-event cyclist information document
What’s Not Included
- Drinks with evening meals
- Single supplements
- Bike / Travel insurance
Testimonial from a previous rider
“The Coast to Coast Cycle Challenge was a fantastically well organised event. Despite the challenging climbs, me and the rest of the team from Sainsbury’s thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.” (Stuart Fraser, Sainsbury’s)
GroceryAid is the trading name of the National Grocers’ Benevolent Fund. The charity was founded in 1857 and looks after thousands of people within the grocery industry. For further information about the charity or the ride, please contact Charlotte Norris Charlotte.Norris@groceryaid.org.uk
Fundraising and Sponsorship
All fundraising and sponsorship enquiries should be directed to GroceryAid. There are opportunities to sponsor specific elements of the event, for example the celebration meal, cycle jerseys and refreshment stops.
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
The event is fully supported with guides at a ratio of one guide to 10 cyclists, support vehicles, tour leaders and medics. Each day you will receive breakfast at the hotel before setting off, morning and afternoon refreshment stops while on the ride, a substantial lunch plus dinner and twin room accommodation each night.
The Coast to Coast is a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who help all abilities complete the challenge. In an age where independence rather than group cycling is heralded, those not familiar with the pie guiding system may be reluctant to follow rather than lead.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
We have set up a Strava “club” for the GroceryAid Coast to Coast and London to Paris bike rides. The link will be sent to you when you sign up. If you have already got a personal Strava account you can just log on using the link we will send, join the “club” and start your training with other GroceryAid cyclists. If you haven’t got a Strava account, simply enter your details in the “Sign Up for Free” section on Strava.
Don’t be daunted by the leader board and other people’s fast times! As the rides are guided, different groups will ride at different speeds, so there is something for everyone.
Follow us at #bespokeguidedrides, #GAC2C, #pieevents
Register for the ride
Registrations open shortly. Please contact GroceryAid for more details.