19 Sep Hertford 500 Mile Bike Ride 2020: Option 1 – Venice to Oxford 11th-18th July 2020
- Hertford College Bike Ride: Option 1 - Venice to Oxford
July 11, 2020 - July 18, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
In July 2020, to celebrate the Principalship of Will Hutton and as we gear up for our 150th anniversary celebrations in 2024, we will be embarking on another bike ride – this time starting from the Bridge of Sighs in Venice and cycling back via countless bridges in the Netherlands and the Cambridge Bridge of Sighs to Oxford and the Hertford Bridge! Whether you’re a recent graduate or a longstanding member of our alumni community, this is a fantastic opportunity to come together to celebrate Hertford, get to know other alumni, fellows and students, and to raise money for a great cause.
The cycle will start on the iconic island of Venice, and the first four days of this journey will go through Italy, Austria, Germany and the Alsace wine region in France. For experienced cyclists, this is your chance to pit yourself against the some of the routes of the 2019 Tour de France, while less advanced cyclists will follow the classic route through stunning countryside. We’ll take it easier on Day 5, with a short morning ride followed by a transfer from Strasbourg to Bruges while you recover from the exertion of the mountains.
From the beautiful medieval town of Bruges, we head north to the coast and then east into the Netherlands. We follow the North Sea Coastal Route on bike paths, along small bridges and chain ferries, keeping the North Sea on our left until we arrive into Hook of Holland. We get the overnight ferry to Harwich where we resume our cycling journey into Cambridge. Our final day will take us from Cambridge, with its own Bridge of Sighs, back to the Hertford Bridge and a celebratory barbecue in the Quad.
- Iconic start in Venice
- Crossing the Italian and Austrian Alps
- Colmar [little Venice] and the Alsace Wine route
- Optional Tour de France climbs from Stage 5 & 6 of the 2019 Tour in the Vosges mountains
- North Sea cycle route
- Optional longer routes each day for elite cyclists – numbers dependent
- Celebration finish in Hertford
- Guided groups at different speeds to match your level
This webpage is to sign up for Option 1: the 8-day Venice to Oxford route.
Distances and elevations below are for the base route only, but every day will have additional ride options if we have sufficient numbers on the ride. These figures are also estimates and may vary slightly on the day.
Stages 5 & 6 2019 Tour de France route with possible options of either the Grand or Petit Ballon.
Cost per person:
- 8 day event (Venice to Oxford): £1,100 + fundraising
Non-fundraiser ticket prices
We know that not everyone wants to fundraise, so we have introduced a ‘non-fundraiser’ ticket price. If your friends and family have donor fatigue or you don’t want to ask for support for another reason, you can still sign up to the bike ride without needing to fundraise for your place. If you choose this option, some of the money will be paid to pie and some to Hertford.
- 8-day event (Venice to Oxford): £2,200
Ticket prices include
All food, hotels, ferries as appropriate, 1 unique tour jersey, post ride food, guides/mechanics (at a ratio of approx 1 guide to 8-10 cyclists), medic, tour leaders in charge of the logistics of the ride, possible extra route option on some days, support vehicles (with bike spares, medical kits, water, etc), transfer of bikes from The Storage King, Weybridge to the start of your ride, a minimum of 3 food and drink stops a day, a pie water bottle, coaches/transfers where noted, finish celebrations in Hertford, and, of course amazing cycling.
Not Included in the Package
- Travel to the start of your ride (once you have signed up, we will send you some travel recommendations)
- Accommodation and meal in Venice on 10 July, the night before the ride starts (once you have signed up, we will send you some recommendations)
- Single room – available for a supplement of £350 payable with your final balance
- Travel insurance
- Bicycle insurance
- Personal expenditures
There is no travel to the start included in the package price for the event. You will need to organise outbound travel to Venice, arriving in time for a 18.00 briefing on 10 July, and onward travel from Hertford at the finish. For an early look at travel options to Venice please see the links below:
If you would like to travel with your bike to Venice, you can take it by plane, or by train if you are going overland. Please check the conditions of carriage of the carrier(s).
It is also possible for pie to transport the bike to the start for you. If you would like to take up this option, please click this option on the registration form. More information on delivery times and addresses will be sent out closer to the time.
Testimonial from the 2014 Hertford bike ride
“Once the physical aches eventually diminish, what will stay with me and, I hope with all of us, are the friendships formed and strengthened during the ride” – Matthew Abbott (1996)
We encourage you to fundraise for this event using Everydayhero.com (https://nfp.everydayhero.com/uk/hertford-college).
All donations towards the bike ride will go towards whichever area you choose to support this could be a specific area like Student Support, teaching and research in a specific subject, or our planned redevelopments of the college’s buildings on the Catte Street site. Or you can choose to keep your fundraising donations unrestricted (this is our preferred option, so we can put your donations towards the area of greatest need). Just let us know when you set up your fundraising page.
If you have any questions please contact the Development team on Development.Office@hertford.ox.ac.uk, or 01865 279428.
If you don’t want to fundraise, you can sign up for one of the non-fundraising places.
Corporate Event Sponsorship:
We welcome sponsorship of the kit, drinks, meals, guides, bike freight, and subsidised student places so every penny of sponsorship will go to support our charity objectives.
Please contact the Development team on Development.Office@hertford.ox.ac.uk, or 01865 279428.
You will be receiving one exclusive Hertford tour cycle jersey. Please take a look below and let us know your size on the registration form.
To book on the Venice to Oxford 2020 bike ride register using the Registration button below.
Payment is as follows:
- The deposit for Option 1: Venice to Oxford is £165
- Balance payable by 8th May 2020
All payments are non-refundable. Please therefore take out suitable travel insurance should you need to cancel for an insurable reason.
Method of Payment:
- There are 3 payment options.
If you are signing up 10 weeks before departure or less, please pay the full amount. Your place is not secured until you have paid. If you would like a single room, please check with us first as availability is limited (01932 460090).
We look forward to seeing you there!
- NB. Occasionally people have problems registering. There are various solutions:
- try to change your browser and/or register using incognito or private mode which some people have found helps
- make sure you have your passport / travel insurance details to hand before you start the registration process as some people get a time out error
- ask us (Tina@pieevents.co.uk) to send you the registration form as a Word doc attachment and we will manually input your data and send you the confirmation
- try registering and clicking the button to pay by BACS (not online via PayPal)
- to go to the pub and come back tomorrow and have another go when we hope to have solved the problem!