09 Nov Pedal Taiwan Nine Hour Jurassic Challenge – 20th-22nd April 2018
- April 20, 2018 - April 22, 2018
5:00 pm - 12:00 pm
Set on the beautiful Isle of Purbeck, this one day event sees Challengers spend the morning tackling some of the famous mountain bike trails in the area, before then hiking up and over the ridgeline and along the South West Coastal path.
A variety of guided routes will be offered on each leg and full mechanical support will also be provided, along with regular refreshment stops and of course the famous scenery of the Jurassic Coast acting as a backdrop!
Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd April 2018
- Cycling and Hiking around the stunning Jurassic Coast
- A visit to Old Harry’s Rocks
- Finishing at Durlston Castle, overlooking the English Channel
- Total Distance: up to 36km cycling, and 18km hiking
A day mountain biking and hiking amongst the hills and paths of the Jurassic Coast.
Distance and Elevation
There are multiple routes to choose from, according to distance and elevation. The routes shown above are the “black” bike and hike.
Day 1 – Friday 20th April
Challengers arrive at the hotel at their leisure. Registration / bike fittings with the pie crew in the evening.
Day 2 – Saturday 21st April
The day begins with a safety briefing at the hotel, before heading off in our groups along a choice of difficulties of routes for a 36km ride on the varied terrain of the Jurassic Coast. Say hello to Old Harry before turning inland and heading towards the undulating terrain of the heathland!
The transition area signals the end of the riding section and our support crew will be on hand to serve you some well-earned refreshments to replenish your energy and prepare for the next stage of the challenge – the hike.
The hike itself will take around 4 or 5 hours, where we travel up and over the ridgeline, towards the coast where we pick up the South West Coastal Path. Various route options will be offered, and you will be led in your group by an experienced guide at all times.
Don’t forget to leave enough energy for the final climb up to the café and a well-deserved celebratory drink!
After a final toast, everybody will be transported back to the hotel for showers and to get changed in time for the celebration meal!
Day 3 – Sunday 22nd April
Breakfast is taken at your leisure, before departing for home.
How to Join
Please head to the event webpage for more information – www.ninehourchallenge.com
- Full support crew with guides (1 per 8 challengers), tour leaders and 2 x medics
- All food from breakfast on Saturday morning through to breakfast on Sunday morning
- Bike hire if required
- Accommodation (twin share) for the Friday and Saturday nights
- Celebration meal on the Saturday night
- Celebration drinks (provided by a corporate supporter)
- Goodie bag when you check in
What’s Not Included
- Dinner on the Friday night
- Personal bike insurance (if you bring your own bike)
- Single supplement (some single rooms are available on request)
“Brilliantly organised event. Challenging routes with excellent guides looking after everyone. A perfect way to raise money for good causes!” (Phil Hodkinson, chair of Action Medical Research and trustee of BBC Children in Need)
The Challengers are raising funds for four fantastic charities:
BBC Children in Need, who provide grants to projects in the UK which focus on children and young people who are disadvantaged.
Action Medical Research, who fund medical research to beat the diseases that devastate the lives of so many of our children.
Switchback, is a completely different, intensive rehabilitation programme. They help young adult offenders – Trainees – make real, long-lasting change after their release from prison.
Missing People, the only charity in the UK which is dedicated to bringing missing children and adults back together with their families.
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
Our bike & hike guides will be with you every step of the way, and are responsible for navigation, fixing mechanical issues on the bikes and of course providing plenty of encouragement! Many of the bike guides on this event are former / existing GB cyclists, so you’ll be in great hands!
Behind the scenes our support crew will set up regular refreshment stops and provide a luggage transfer service for you to get changed out of your cycling kit and into your hiking kit at the lunchtime transition zone. You will also be supported by two medics, riding & hiking with you throughout the day.
The Jurassic Challenge is a guided ride & hike with groups being led by pie guides who are familiar with the terrain and who help all abilities complete the challenge. In an age where independence rather than group cycling is heralded, those not familiar with the pie guiding system may be reluctant to follow rather than lead.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists and hikers
- All of our guides are experienced in cycling / hiking. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 challengers, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Challengers can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
Follow us on #bespokeguidedrides, #PT9hrchallenge, #pieevents