12 Sep RBLI Centenary Ride – 8th-10th June 2018
RBLI Centenary Ride
June 8, 2018 - June 10, 2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Ride to Ypres for RBLI in 2018! We’ll be starting at Aylesford in Kent to do 2 days riding finishing in the incredible town of Ypres at the Menin Gate in time for the Last Post. The daily mileage will be approx 75 miles/120km and 55 miles/88km approximately with options to do a shorter ride if you prefer.
Date: June 8th – 10th 2018
- 2 days cycling for RBLI in this Centenary year
- Finish in Ypres in time for the Last Post
- 2 daily route options
- Guided ride
Day 1 – Friday June 8th 2018:
Meet for a welcome and event briefing at RBLI headquarters, Aylesford, Kent. Set off in your guided groups from Aylesford to Dover on your chosen route 75miles or 55 miles. There will be 3 refreshment stops along the way – in the morning, at lunch, and in the afternoon.
On arrival at Dover, we board the ferry for the short journey to Calais. Dinner (not included) will be on the ferry before we arrive in Calais. There will be a short ride to the hotel in Calais once we have disembarked.
Day 2 – Saturday, June 9th 2018:
We have breakfast in the hotel before we head off in our guided groups from Calais to the Menin Gate, Ypres. We will pass through the battlefields area of this historic region in order to arrive at our hotel in time to get showered, changed and to the Last Post at 8pm. After this we will celebrate our cycling and fundraising achievements over dinner.
Accommodation in Ypres.
Day 3 – Sunday June 10th 2018:
Travel home. There will be a coach provided from Ypres to visit Passchendaele cemetery from where we continue our journey to Calais and the ferry. In Dover we pick up another coach for the journey back to Aylesford where cars will have been left for the duration of the event. Bikes will be unloaded from the pie vans.
- 2 nights bed and breakfast accommodation in twin rooms
- 1 x evening meals in hotel / restaurant in Ypres
- 2 x refreshment stops each day
- 2 x lunch
- Ferry crossing Dover Calais
- Post ride food each day x 2
- 1 pie guide for every 8-10 cyclists
- Tour leaders / driver and support vehicles
- Coach transfer from Ypres to Aylesford
- Transfer of bikes from Ypres to Aylesford
Costs do not include:
- Dinner on the Dover Calais ferry
- Travel and bike insurance
- Personal expenditures such as drinks
“There is no doubt we could not have done it without pie. You, Tina, Paul, Aiden, Dave, James, Jonathan, Roger, and not forgetting Ben have been fantastic. Firstly by organising the trip we wanted in a way that worked for us, the professionalism of your team and the fantastic way they kept us on track and motivated”
This is a fundraising event for RBLI. Participation on the ride is dependent on your commitment to raise a minimum of £250 in sponsorship per person on top of the costs of £750 per person. For details on how to set up your online fundraising and pay in your sponsorship contact Penny Dyson: email@example.com
Corporate Event Sponsorship:
We welcome sponsorship of any event elements (drinks, meals, guides, ferry, etc) as every penny of sponsorship will go to support RBLI.
Please contact Penny Dyson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
The event is fully supported with guides at a ratio of one guide to 10 cyclists, 2 route options per day, transport of luggage, support vehicles, tour leaders and medics. Light refreshments will be available at the start, and you will also receive morning and afternoon refreshment stops whilst on the ride, along with a substantial lunch plus dinner in the evening at Ypres
The RBLI Centenary Ride is a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who are familiar with the terrain and who help all abilities complete the challenge. In an age where independence rather than group cycling is heralded, those not familiar with the pie guiding system may be reluctant to follow rather than lead.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
We have set up a Strava “club”for the RBLI Centenary bike ride. The link will be sent to you when you sign up.
If you have already got a personal Strava account you can just log on using the link we will send, join the RBLI “club” and start your training with other riders.
If you haven’t got a Strava account, simply enter your details in the “Sign Up for Free” section on Strava.
Don’t be daunted by the leader board and other people’s fast times. We offer 3 different guides, with 3 different speeds, so there is something for everyone.
Cost per person:
To book on the RBLI Centenary Ride 2018 ride register using the Registration button below.
- Payment to be staggered over 2 instalments:
- £250 on registration
- £500 balance by 1st April 2018
All payments are non–refundable. Please therefore take out suitable travel insurance should you need to cancel for an insurable reason.
Method of Payment:
- There are 3 payment options.