18 Oct SCANNAPPEAL – 30 – 30 – 30 LONDON TO AMSTERDAM – 20th-22nd April 2018
SCANNAPPEAL – 30 - 30 - 30 LONDON TO AMSTERDAM
April 20, 2018 - April 22, 2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
On Friday April 20th 2018 we will set off from the London Olympic Park to cycle to Amsterdam. The trip will follow the usual successful formula of 2 route options a day, each of different difficulties, guided riding, support vehicles, medics, transport of bikes back to the UK, a minimum of 3 food and drink stops a day, post ride snacks, great meals and accommodation along the way, finish celebrations at the IAmsterdam sign, and, of course, amazing cycling!!
April 20th – 22nd 2018
Cost per person:
Includes all food, accommodation, post ride snacks, overnight ferry crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland, travel on Eurostar Amsterdam to London, guides, 2 route options per day, etc.
- Cycle from one iconic location to another – The London Olympic Park to the IAmsterdam sign!
- 2 daily route options so you can test yourself or take it easy – as you please!
- Guided ride, so no need to follow a device or an arrow – just follow your guide
- All inclusive so all you have to do is pedal!
We meet in London at the Olympic Park at 07.30am for light refreshments, a welcome and an event briefing. At this point you will be able to choose the route you would like to do today and meet the meet your guide leading that route. Depending on numbers there may be a choice of guide, one doing a slower more comfortable ride, and another burning a bit of rubber. Choose what suits you!
Once you have left your luggage in the pie truck, we hope to be on the road by 08.30. There will be 3 food and drink stops during the day with a great choice. We should be arriving into Harwich in the late afternoon which will give you time to load your bike onto the pie truck, collect your luggage and head for your cabin for a shower before dinner.
Dinner will be served on board the ferry where we will also hear all about the plans for the next day’s ride.
The ferry arrives into Hook of Holland at 8am and we have an early breakfast on board the ferry before we disembark. We swap our luggage once again for a bike and set off in our guided groups on our chosen routes – a choice of 130 or 160kms. As usual there are 3 refreshment stops during the day. The small roads, canals, windmills and lack of traffic make for cycle heaven!
We finally arrive at the IAmsterdam sign where we can celebrate before heading off to our hotel and then out for dinner
Free day until Eurostar departs. (If you prefer to make your own way home, please advise us when registering.) Your bikes will be taken back to Amersham for you.
Cost per person:
Included in your cost:
- All food from the start on Day 1 (light refreshments) through to breakfast on Day 3 inclusive
- 3 refreshment stops with snacks are provided during the 2 cycling days
- Dinner each night including meal in Amsterdam
- Bike transfer back to Amersham
- Fully insured bike guides at a ratio of 1 guide to 10 cyclists
- Support vehicles with mechanical back up
- Twin share accommodation each night (ferry / hotel)
- pie event manager, guides and support staff
- Fully qualified medic
- Cyclist information document
- Travel back on Eurostar
- All the small print such as contracts, risk assessment, etc
Price does not include:
- Travel insurance – mandatory!
- Single rooms
- Bike insurance
- Drinks with meals
- Travel to the start of the ride in London
Since its foundation 30 years ago, Scannappeal has raised over £13 million and has purchased equipment for every major department in each of the county’s hospitals. Patients accessing Buckinghamshire’s health services benefit from more efficient diagnosis and treatment through the availability of cutting-edge equipment. Every 10 minutes someone in the local area is diagnosed or treated with equipment funded by Scannappeal and one in four of the local population has benefited from Scannappeal’s work. Each appeal is designed to support a clear healthcare outcome and is only undertaken following rigorous assessments to ensure requests that deliver the greatest benefit to patients are pursued.
We operate several appeals for specific equipment at any one time and have run over 30 major appeals. With equipment purchased ranging from MRI Scanners, Mobile Breast Screening units, 3D heart scanners, specialist equipment for respiratory medicine, audiology, endoscopy, urology and haematology…the list goes on!
Every mile cycled and every pound raised will go directly to support the Breast Unit at Wycombe Hospital. The simple aim is to raise £30k and support the departments ongoing aim of ensuring patients are at the heart of all they do through the use of cutting-edge equipment.
Did you know:
- Over 50,000 women and just less than 500 men are diagnosed with breast cancer each year in the UK
- Breast Cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women in the UK and 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer at some point in their lifetime
- Early diagnosis of breast cancer leads to an improved prognosis
£30k will purchase a biopsy system enabling clinicians to obtain tissue from breast lesions which are best visualised by x-ray techniques be that for biopsy or excision purpose. The system will allow for patients to be seen as day patients and avoid the need for hospital admission, meaning less stress for the patient and treatment in a more relaxed environment.
There is a minimum recommended fundraising amount of £1000. Please contact Karen Shardlow for more details Karen.Shardlow@buckshealthcare.nhs.uk
You can also set up a fundraising page with this link:
Corporate Event Sponsorship:
We welcome sponsorship of any event elements (drinks, meals, guides, ferry, etc) as every penny of sponsorship will go to support Scannappeal.
Please contact Karen Shardlow Karen.Shardlow@buckshealthcare.nhs.uk
We are seeking sponsorship for team cycle jerseys. Please contact Karen Shardlow Karen.Shardlow@buckshealthcare.nhs.uk
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
The route has been fully recce’d and will be along smaller roads making the cycling fun as well as challenging. This ride is fully supported with guides at a ratio of one guide to 8-10 cyclists, support vehicles, tour leaders and medics. Each day you will receive breakfast at the hotel before setting off, morning and afternoon refreshment stops while on the ride, a substantial lunch, post ride snacks, dinner and twin room accommodation each night.
The London to Amsterdam event is a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who are familiar with the terrain and who help all abilities complete the challenge. In an age where independence rather than group cycling is heralded, those not familiar with the pie guiding system may be reluctant to follow rather than lead.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- Our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
We have set up a Strava “club” event for the Scannappeal London to Amsterdam bike ride. The link will be sent to you when you sign up.
If you have already got a personal Strava account you can just log on using the link we will send, join the Scannappeal “club” and start your training with other riders.
If you haven’t got a Strava account, simply enter your details in the “Sign Up for Free” section on Strava.
Don’t be daunted by the leader board and other people’s fast times. We offer 3 different guides, with 3 different speeds, so there is something for everyone.
Follow us at #Scannappeal #buckinghamshire #highwycombe #cycling #amersham #charity #marlow #aylesbury #bucks #30challenge #bespokeguidedrides
To book on the ScannAppeal 2018 ride register using the Registration button below.
Please contact Karen Shardlow for payment details:
All payments are non–refundable. Please therefore take out suitable travel insurance should you need to cancel for an insurable reason.
If you would like a single room, please call us first as availability is limited (01932 460090).
We look forward to seeing you on the ride!