20 Jun The Black and White Badgers Tour, 8th-12th June 2022
- The Black and White Badgers Tour
June 8, 2022 - June 12, 2022
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
From gin and tonic to Laurel and Hardy – a good combo is more than the sum of its parts. In June 2022 we will be introducing the triple combo of the Vosges National Park in France, the Black Forest National Park in Germany, and the Alsace wine region.
We will once again be on the tail of the professional teams as we pick up 2019 Tour de France routes like the Grand and Petit Ballon climbs in the Vosges. Along the way there will be castles, forests, empty roads, rolling hills, stunning scenery, Grimms fairy tales, impressive food and hotels and, of course, amazing cycling!
The Tour will follow the usual successful formula of 3 route options a day, each of different difficulties, guided riding, support vehicles, medics, transport of bikes to the start and back, a minimum of 3 food and drink stops a day, post ride food, excellent evening meals and accommodation, finish celebrations, and amazing cycling.
Dates: June 8th – 12th 2022
Cost per person:
Includes all food, accommodation, jerseys x 2, drinks with meals, post ride snacks, single group airport to hotel transfers return, guides, medics, 3 route options per day, return transport of bikes, etc. Excludes flights.
Where Are We Going?
Where France and Germany collide, both sides of the Rhine. Historically important – visually stunning.
- The Vosges (France) National Park and mountain range, home to Colmar, stage finish featured in the Tour de France 2019. The Vosges offers no less than 25 different climbs that have been used in the Tour de France since it first appearance in the Tour in 1906.
- The 2019 Tour included two stages in the Vosges, and we will tackle parts of each including the opportunity to climb Col du Grand Ballon (at 1325m the highest mountain in the Vosges), and Le Petit Ballon
- The Black Forest National Park is known for its mountains, spas, lakes, wildlife and cuckoo clocks, and has hosted the Tour de France twice
- The Alsace wine region runs along the western banks of the Rhine producing some of the world’s best dry Rieslings
- 3 route options per day
- Excellent accommodation all with spas and / or swimming pools
- Finish in the UNESCO heritage city of Strasbourg
- Singers – we’re going to go through Colmar (home of the Tour de France 2019 stages), Obernai and Rosheim, to make it an incredibly picturesque day
- Badgers will replicate parts of the Tour de France route and skirt the foothills of Petit Ballon. Badgers will be able to do Petit Ballon if they do the Barking route day 4.
- Barking – With Grand Ballon on the previous day, this route includes Petit Ballon on day 4. The bulk of the climb is in the first section up to Petit Ballon and after that it is much “flatter”.
Overall Route Map:
Transfer from Basel airport to the start hotel in Durbach. See flight details below. There will be the option of a transfer from Strasbourg for those arriving by train when we know what the timetable is and what demand is. 3 options of warm up loop around Durbach in the heart of the high Black Forest with lovely riding around the hills.
We will have dinner and spend the night in the Hotel Ritter, https://www.ritter-durbach.de/. It boasts a sun roof with sun beds with views over the local schloss, and at least 3 separate spa and relaxation areas. In the evening we have exclusive use of a dining room to enjoy the excellent food and local wines.
Today we head south from Durbach to Schloss Reinach, set in a tiny village 15km to the south west of Freiburg im Breisgau. Along the way we tackle Schafersfeld Pass, a cheeky 5k climb of 9%; Hallener Hohe suitable for all with a height gain of just 500m over 18k; and Thurner with a 3% climb over 18k.
In the evening we will have dinner and spend the night in Hotel Schloss Reinach. https://www.schlossreinach.de/. The hotel is built around a central cobbled courtyard, has a swimming pool and an underground spa and wellness area. In the evening we have exclusive use of a dining room to enjoy the excellent food.
Today is the day we leave the hills of Germany to cross the flat lands between Germany and France, and make our way across the Rhine to the Tour de France climbs in the Vosges National Park. For Barking and Badgers the Grand Ballon, a Stage 6, Cat 3, Tour de France climb beckons at just 1325m. Singers avoid these climbs in preparation for the Route des Vins tomorrow.
In the evening we will have dinner and spend the night at the Domaine de Rouffach enjoying the same hospitality the Tour de France teams did in 2019 when they stayed here. https://www.domainederouffach.com/fr/.
This former 16th century coaching inn on the Alsace wine route prides itself on its gastronomy and it’s pairings with local wines – the result is exquisite. However before dinner you can enjoy the swimming pool and spa area or, from the bar, just look up to the hill behind you to the imposing Chateau d’Isenbourg.
Today is our last day and the focus is on the Route des Vins for the Singers and more Tour de France climbs for Badgers and Barking, this time from Stage 5 2019. For Barking there is Le Petit Ballon at 1163m, another spectacular climb, and the Cote des Cinq Chateaux for all. We finish our 2020 Black and White Tour in Strasbourg, Capital of Europe.
There will be 2 hotels almost next door to each other for the final night.
The BOMA started out life as a bank with the conversion happening in 2017 so it is very smart and new. At the other end of the spectrum, the Hannong celebrated its 100th birthday in 2020 and is equally well appointed. Both hotels are in the centre of town, the rooms are comfortable and full of art. Drinks and dinner will be in a restaurant 10 minutes walk away. Due to Strasbourg being almost entirely cobbled, we dont advise Badgers to wear stilettos for this walk….
If you are choosing to take the train to or from the event, the train station is just a 5 minute walk away from the hotel so you can book a train time to suit you.
Free time until the transfers to the airport or your walk to the train station if you are on the train back to the UK. See below for flight details.
Included in the Badger’s Package
- 4 night’s twin room en suite accommodation in 4 – 5 star hotels
- 4 breakfasts
- 2 restaurant lunches
- 2 excellent packed / picnic lunches
- Refreshment stops in the morning and afternoon on each full riding day plus on the Wednesday afternoon
- 4 x 3 course evening meals including wine
- Transfers to and from the start / finish hotel from the recommended flight
- Guided riding on your choice of 2 – 3 routes each day
- Guides at a ratio of approx 1 guide to 8-10 Badgers
- Support vehicles with bike spares, med kits, water, etc
- Tour leaders in charge of the logistics of the ride
- Medics x 2
- Return transfer of your bike from The Storage King, Weybridge to the start of the ride and back to Weybridge from the end of the ride
- Transfer from Strasbourg train station if you are on the trains we have recommended
- 2 unique Tour cycle jerseys
- pie water bottles
- Drinks reception before dinner on the last night
- Gala dinner on the last night with auction and prizes
Not Included in the Badger’s Package
- Transfer from/to Basel airport if you choose not to book the recommended flights below
- Transfer from Strasbourg train station if you are NOT on the trains we have recommended
- Single room – available for a supplement of £295
- Travel insurance
- Bicycle insurance
- Personal expenditures
- Friends and family package – contact us for details 01932 460090
Low Carbon Travel Options:
- See Rome2Rio.com to find something to suit you.
- Eurostar: If you choose to travel by Eurostar to Strasbourg we will collect you and take you to the start of the ride in Durbach (Germany). You just need to be at Strasbourg train station to coincide with the following train arrivals.
Depart London Heathrow BA0752: Terminal 5, Wed, 8 Jun 2022, 08:30 Arrive Basel: Wed, 8 Jun 2022, 11:05
Depart Basel BA0753: Sun, 12 Jun 2022, 11:50 Arrive London Heathrow : Terminal 5, Sun, 12 Jun 2022, 12:35
London Gatwick to Basel
EZS8431 Departure 08:10 Wed 8th Jun Arrival 10:50
Basel to London Gatwick
EZS8432 Departure 10:45 Sun 12th Jun Arrival 11:20
The EasyJet inbound flight is one hour earlier than the BA one. We may be able to do a separate transfer for the few people who would like to take this flight.
Eurostar timetable will come out in 2022. We will be doing transfers from Strasbourg on the arrival day Wednesday 8th June to accommodate those arriving by train, as well as from Basel airport meeting the British airways flight and connecting EasyJet flight.
On the 12th June we will transfer you to Basel airport to meet one of the above flights. However the train station is no more than a 5 minute walk away from the finish hotels so you are welcome to book which ever train back you fancy without worrying about a transfer time.
If you are flying please consider offsetting your carbon emissions via one of the many carbon offset schemes around. To calculate your carbon emissions from London to Basel check here https://climatecare.org/calculator/.
We have found the below list of offset providers to be financially efficient but if you have one that you would prefer to use, please share it with us so we can add it here. :
Insurance – travel and bike
pie is delighted to be an approved partner of Yellow Jersey Cycle Insurance. Get 10% off using the code pieevents10.
Testimonial from a Previous Rider
“I’ve ridden many time on pie events over the years, and I can say without fear of contradiction they are superb. And that word applies to all the essential components of a great trip – the organisation, accommodation, food, guiding, support, location and routing. Oh – I left out the craic and camaraderie as well!”
Dermot Murnaghan, Sky News Reader
Action Medical Research
Action Medical Research are a UK-wide charity saving and changing children’s lives through medical research.
AMR fund a broad range of cutting-edge medical research most likely to deliver real benefit to babies, children and young people. With the help of our supporters, we raise funds to make vital research possible. We want to make a difference in premature birth, pregnancy complications and treating sick and vulnerable babies, as well as in preventing infections and helping children affected by disabilities, disabling conditions and rare diseases.
We encourage Badgers to raise money for / make donations to Action Medical Research if they wish. Corporate Badgers are encouraged to make a minimum donation of at least £600. If you wish to make a donation to AMR please contact Toby Tennant firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. You can also set up a fundraising page with this link:
Corporate Event Sponsorship:
This trip continues the great Badger’s tradition, going back 15 years, of raising money for Action Medical Research. We welcome sponsorship of the kit, drinks, meals, guides, and freight as every penny of sponsorship will go to support our partner charity AMR. For all you corporates and small businesses out there, any contribution towards sponsorship will help the trip raise funds for the charity.
Please contact Andy Dewhurst on email@example.com.
You will be receiving 2 exclusive Le Col tour cycle jerseys. Please note your size below and advise on the registration form link below. Le Col jerseys are made by and for Italians – they can therefore come up a little small!
Looking After You
The route has been fully recce’d and will be along smaller roads making the cycling fun as well as challenging. The Badgers Black and White Tour is fully supported with guides at a ratio of one guide to 8-10 cyclists, support vehicles, tour leaders and medics. Each day you will receive breakfast at the hotel before setting off, morning and afternoon refreshment stops while on the ride, a substantial lunch, post ride snacks, dinner and twin room accommodation each night. We also provide electrolytes and gels.
The Badger’s Tour is a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who are familiar with the terrain and who help all abilities complete the challenge. For those not familiar with the pie guiding system:
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
- We make it suitable for most standards of cyclists – min daily distances 120k, min daily elevations 1300m
We have set up a Strava “club” for the Badgers Black and White Tour. The link will be sent to you when you sign up.
If you have already got a personal Strava account you can just log on using the link we will send, join the Badgers “club” and start your training with other Badgers.
If you haven’t got a Strava account, simply enter your details in the “Sign Up for Free” section on Strava.
Don’t be daunted by the leader board and other people’s fast times. We offer 3 different routes and, with 6 different guides, we will be offering 6 different speeds as well, so there is something for everyone.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter at #barkingbadgers #bespokeguidedrides #pieevents
Booking: Please Note – Booking is temporarily suspended
If you would like to invite someone on the ride please do, or if you would like to add someone to the invite list, please ask them to contact Tina@pieevents.co.uk
To book on the Badger’s Black and White Tour 2022 register using the Registration button below.
Payment is as follows:
- £450 on registration as a deposit to secure your place plus the single room supplement of £295 to secure a single room
- Balance of £1300 payable by 1st April 2022
All payments are non–refundable. Please therefore take out suitable travel insurance should you need to cancel for an insurable reason.
Method of Payment:
- There are 3 payment options.
- First option is to pay £450 deposit by cheque or BACS (please contact us for details: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 2nd option is to pay £450 deposit below online via the PayPal system with a card
- Finally, the 3rd option is to pay the £1750 in full upfront by cheque or BACS (please contact us for details: email@example.com)
If you are signing up 10 weeks before departure or less, please pay the £1750 in full. If you would like a single room, please check with us first as availability is limited (01932 460090).
We look forward to seeing you in 2022!