09 Nov Unilever Miles4Mel – 18th-20th May 2018
May 18, 2018 - May 20, 2018
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
A Bike Ride from Leatherhead to Gilwern for Get Ahead Charitable Trust.
Mel Jaggard, a Unilever employee, unfortunately passed away with Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma, a cancer that is only diagnosed in about 20 people a year.
Now in its 5th year, Miles4Mel is being put together in memory of Mel by a number of her Unilever work colleagues. Cyclists will be raising money for Get Ahead Charitable Trust who undertake research into ACC. The event is purely for employees and guests of Unilever employees and is being supported by Unilever.
Date of ride:
Friday 18th to Sunday 20th May 2018
£160 non-refundable registration fee. The rest of the event costs are being covered by generous supporters
- Great send-off from Unilever HQ in Leatherhead
- Fantastic cycling through varied landscape
- Celebratory finish in Gilwern
Distance and Elevation Overview
Friday 18th May
Cyclists meet at Unilever HQ in Leatherhead to register with the pie crew. Our bike guides will be on hand to check your bike, help fix any last minute mechanical issues, and light refreshments will be available in the restaurant.
There will be a group photo after the welcome speech and briefing, and then it’s out onto the road in your guided groups.
We will provide the usual 3 refreshment stops during the day, and our support crew will be on hand to keep you moving!
The day finishes as we roll into the hotel in Swindon for a well-earned shower and dinner.
Saturday 19th May
Following a hearty breakfast we set off in our guided groups for the final day of the ride. The departure times will be staggered to ensure we all arrive into Gilwern at the same time.
Again, there will be three refreshment stops along the way. And we’ll be riding across the Severn Bridge!
The ride finishes in Mel’s home town of Gilwern, before boarding coaches to the Celtic Manor hotel and the celebratory meal in the evening.
Sunday 20th May
Breakfast is taken at the hotel, before boarding coaches back to Leatherhead. Your bikes will be transported separately in our support vehicles, and will be ready for collection as you disembark your coach.
- Bike Guides to lead the way and help with fixing mechanical issues. Ratio of 1 guide for 10 cyclists
- Full support crew working behind the scenes, setting up regular refreshment stops, transferring luggage, dealing with hotels and providing medical and mechanical back up en-route
- All food from the morning refreshment stop on the Friday to breakfast on the Sunday
- Hotel accommodation x 2 nights (twin share)
- Bike transport back to Leatherhead
- All coach transfers
- Pre-event information document and training advice
- Pre-event information session at Unilever
What’s Not Included
- Personal bike insurance (recommended)
- Drinks with evening meals
Get A-Head’s objective is to raise funds to directly help improve the quality of life for those patients who suffer from head and neck diseases and their carers. They do this by funding three specific areas: Equipment, Research and Education.
For more information about the vital work Get A-Head carry out, visit their website – getahead.org.uk
The minimum fundraising target for all cyclists is £500 (ex gift aid). All funds raised will go directly to the charity.
If you are interested in supporting the event, please contact Peter at pie using the details below.
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
The route will be fully recce’d and will be along a selection of small, safe routes making the cycling fun as well as challenging. We expect spring weather as it will be in May.
Miles for Mel is fully supported with guides at a ratio of one guide to 10 cyclists, support vehicles, tour leaders and medics. Each day you will receive breakfast at the hotel before setting off, morning and afternoon refreshment stops while on the ride, a substantial lunch plus dinner and twin room accommodation each night.
Miles4Mel a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who are familiar with the terrain and who help all abilities complete the challenge. In an age where independence rather than group cycling is heralded, those not familiar with the pie guiding system may be reluctant to follow rather than lead.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
Follow us at #bespokeguidedrides, #M4M5, #pieevents
You are required to pay a £160 non refundable registration fee to confirm your place on the ride. This is payable directly to pie by bank transfer (contact email@example.com for details), or by PayPal by clicking on the appropriate registration button below. The remainder of the trip costs are kindly being covered by generous supporters.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org