23 Jul Welcome Break Jurassic Challenge – 5th to 7th October 2018
Welcome Break Jurassic Challenge
October 5, 2018 - October 7, 2018
5:00 pm - 12:00 pm
Set on the beautiful Isle of Purbeck, this one day event sees Challengers spend the morning tackling some of the famous mountain bike trails in the area, before then hiking up and over the ridgeline and along the South West Coastal path.
A variety of guided routes will be offered on each leg and full mechanical support will also be provided, along with regular refreshment stops and of course the famous scenery of the Jurassic Coast acting as a backdrop!
Friday 5th to Sunday 7th October 2018
- Cycling and Hiking around the stunning Jurassic Coast
- A visit to Old Harry’s Rocks
- Finishing at Durlston Castle, overlooking the English Channel
- Total Distance: up to 36km cycling, and 18km hiking
A day mountain biking and hiking among the hills and paths of the Jurassic Coast. Hiking only option available for those not wanting to ride!
Distance and Elevation
There are multiple routes to choose from, according to distance and elevation. The routes shown above are the “black” bike and hike.
Day 1 – Friday 5th October
Challengers arrive at the hotel at their leisure. Registration / bike fittings with the pie crew in the evening.
Day 2 – Saturday 6th October
The day begins with a safety briefing at the hotel, before heading off in our groups along a choice of difficulties of routes for a 35km ride on the varied terrain of the Jurassic Coast. Say hello to Old Harry before turning inland and heading towards the undulating terrain of the heathland! A hike only option is available for those not wanting to ride.
The transition area signals the end of the riding section and our support crew will be on hand to serve you some well-earned refreshments to replenish your energy and prepare for the next stage of the challenge – the hike.
The hike itself will take around 4 or 5 hours, where we travel up and over the ridgeline, towards the coast where we pick up the South West Coastal Path. Various route options will be offered, and you will be led in your group by an experienced guide at all times.
Don’t forget to leave enough energy for the final climb up to the finish line and a well-deserved celebratory drink!
After a final toast, everybody will be transported back to the hotel for showers and to get changed in time for the celebration meal!
Day 3 – Sunday 7th October
Breakfast is taken at your leisure, before departing for home.
How to Join
Please click on the registration button below. Registration is only open for employees and guests of Welcome Break, and closes on Friday 21st September.
- Full support crew with guides (1 per 8 challengers), tour leaders and 2 x medics
- All food from breakfast on Saturday morning through to breakfast on Sunday morning
- Bike hire if required
- Accommodation for the Friday and Saturday nights. Twin and single rooms are available, and you will be advised about your room allocation prior to the Challenge.
- Celebration meal on the Saturday night
What’s Not Included
- Dinner on the Friday night
- Drinks with meals
- Personal bike insurance (if you bring your own bike)
- Single supplement (some single rooms are available on request)
“Brilliantly organised event. Challenging routes with excellent guides looking after everyone. A perfect way to raise money for good causes!” (Phil Hodkinson, chair of Action Medical Research and trustee of BBC Children in Need)
The Challengers are raising funds for BBC Children in Need, who provide grants to projects in the UK which focus on children and young people who are disadvantaged.
Who are pie?
pie are unique in the industry offering only bespoke guided rides for companies, charities and groups of individuals.
Looking After You
Our bike & hike guides will be with you every step of the way, and are responsible for navigation, fixing mechanical issues on the bikes and of course providing plenty of encouragement! Many of the bike guides on this event are former / existing GB cyclists, so you’ll be in great hands!
Behind the scenes our support crew will set up regular refreshment stops and provide a luggage transfer service for you to get changed out of your cycling kit and into your hiking kit at the lunchtime transition zone. You will also be supported by two medics, riding & hiking with you throughout the day.
The Jurassic Challenge is a guided ride & hike with groups being led by pie guides who are familiar with the terrain and who help all abilities complete the challenge. In an age where independence rather than group cycling is heralded, those not familiar with the pie guiding system may be reluctant to follow rather than lead.
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists and hikers
- All of our guides are experienced in cycling / hiking. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skill
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 challengers, from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- Challengers can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
Follow us on #bespokeguidedrides, #pieevents