10 Feb Wheels for Waldenstrom’s: London to Paris AUGUST 25TH – 28TH 2023
August 25, 2023 - August 28, 2023
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Raising money and awareness for WMUK, the charity which supports those living with Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinaemia, we will set off from UCL Hospital in London, following country lanes and tracks all the way to the City of Light, the Eiffel Tower and UCLH’s sister hospital, University Hospitals Pitie Saltpetriere.
Setting off from UCLH on August 25th, we will make our way through London to Portsmouth. After dinner we take the overnight ferry arriving in Caen in the morning where we have breakfast before we set off again towards Paris.
Consultant Haematologist Dr Helen McCarthy at Bournemouth Hospital with two of her WM patients, Bob Perry and Richard Andrews, riding London to Paris to raise money for WMUK
This trip will follow our usual successful formula of guided riding and will include support vehicles, medics and the transport of bikes back to London from Paris.
In terms of keeping your energy levels high, there will be three food and drink stops a day, post ride snacks, excellent evening meals and accommodation before the celebrations of an unforgettable ride.
Dates: 25th August – 28th 2023
Cost per person: £2000
Includes all food, accommodation, a unique WMUK cycling jersey*, post ride snacks, guides, medics, return transport of bikes, etc. Excludes travel back from Paris.
UCLH to Portsmouth 135k; 1198m ascent
Gather at UCLH, load luggage into the pie vans, light refreshments, welcome and briefing. Set off for Portsmouth. Three food stops en route. At Portsmouth we shower and get changed, and ride on to the ferry. Overnight crossing in twin share cabins with ferry leaving at 22.45 and arriving at 07.30 the next day.
Caen to Evreux – 143k, 1049m ascent
Wake up in France! Disembark and have breakfast in café in Caen. Head off on route towards Evreux with three stops during the day.
Dinner and accommodation in hotel in Evreux.
Evreux to Paris – 113k; 976m
Breakfast in the hotel, luggage in the pie vans and head off on our last days riding to our destination – the Eiffel Tower in Paris for a photo opportunity followed by a celebratory finish at University Hospitals Pitie Saltpetriere.
Three food and drink stops along the way.
Dinner and accommodation in hotel in Paris.
Free day/Travel back to the UK (not included in costs). Some people have already booked the 10.13 departure from Paris arriving into London at 11.30. This will also be when the freight truck with the bikes arrives into St Pancras.
Freight take the bikes back to London
Included in your cost;
- 2 night’s twin room en suite accommodation in hotels
- 1 night twin share in cabin on overnight ferry
- 3 breakfasts
- 3 lunches
- 3 Refreshment stops each riding days
- 3 x 3 course evening meals
- Guides at a ratio of approx 1 guide to 8-10 cyclists
- Support vehicles with bike spares, med kits, water, etc
- Tour leaders in charge of the logistics of the ride
- Medic x 1
- Return transfer of your bike back from Paris to London
- 1 unique Tour cycle jerseys*
- pie water bottle
Not Included in the Package
- Eurostar travel back to the UK
- Single room – available for a supplement
- Travel insurance
- Bicycle insurance
- Personal expenditures
- Friends and family package – contact us for details 01932 460090
Low Carbon Travel Options:
- See Rome2Rio.com
Testimonial from a Previous Rider
“I’ve ridden many time on pie events over the years, and I can say without fear of contradiction they are superb. And that word applies to all the essential components of a great trip – the organisation, accommodation, food, guiding, support, location and routing. Oh – I left out the craic and camaraderie as well!”
Dermot Murnaghan, Sky News Reader
WMUK is the only charity in the UK focused solely on Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinaemia (WM), a rare type of blood cancer.
We are here to meet the needs of everyone affected by WM in the UK, and work towards a world where everyone affected by WM lives long and good quality lives, being supported every step of the way.
We work collaboratively in the WM community to bring about real change by:
- Providing accessible support, information and care services for everyone affected by WM
- Creating comprehensive, relevant and expert information
- Driving research to deliver improved care and treatment for WM patients
To find out more, visit: www.wmuk.org.uk
The cost of the event includes a donation to the charity. We encourage you to raise as much as possible with a minimum amount of £2000. Every penny raised over £1200 (the cost of the event) will go to support the charities causes. Contact Bob Perry for more information on how to pay and donate: firstname.lastname@example.org
Corporate Event Sponsorship:
There are many opportunities for businesses to get involved in supporting the WMUK London to Paris Bike Ride. Sponsorship opportunities can be from sponsoring the jerseys, sponsoring hotel or food, guides or vans, etc – the options are vast. In return for corporate sponsorship, your company could be highlighted on the ride jerseys and be tagged in our social media.
*provision of jerseys is reliant on corporate sponsorship
Contact Bob Perry for more information: email@example.com
Sizing to be confirmed when a supplier is chosen.
*provision of jerseys is reliant on corporate sponsorship
The WMUK London to Paris Tour is a guided ride with groups being led by pie guides who are familiar with the terrain and who help all abilities complete the challenge. For those not familiar with the pie guiding system:
- We offer guided rides to make sure we offer the very best care to our cyclists
- All of our guides are experienced cyclists. They range from ex-professional racers to keen amateurs and all are very used to guiding groups of differing abilities, experience and skills
- All of our guides will navigate their small group of 8 – 10 cyclists from start to finish
- They are on hand to do mechanical work so there is no waiting around for a mechanic’s van
- Many pie guides are first aid trained
- On most days cyclists can change groups (up or down) at any time during the day
- We make it suitable for most standards of cyclists – check the minimum daily distances and elevations to make sure you are happy with your level of fitness
If you would like to invite someone on the ride please do, or if you would like to add someone to the invite list, please ask them to contact Bob Perry firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you there!